Serenity Search

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Picky Eater


When I was growing up we had to eat what we put on our plates, and my mom was not making special meals for everyone so you ate what everyone else was eating with a few exceptions. The other night my neighbor brought me over some food he called it guacamole, although it was not how I had ever had it before. As I was picking my way around large chunks of tomatoes which I don’t like, I started thinking about some peoples search for a church. They become picky eaters all over again. They want a big choir, or they want the preacher to only speak about certain things. Some will go as far as say that if people are dressed a certain way they won’t go to that church. 

One of the things I like about Mormon service is any church you go to you will hear the same topics. The same principles, same books, the same beliefs and the same information just maybe taught a different way, as teaching styles will always differ.
I am always reminded of this as my best friend is a Mormon also and goes to Church in a different state. We can come together on Sunday night and compare notes and be at almost the same spot.

I remember going to different churches as I was growing up. I started out catholic, had my first communion, and I have to still say that the wafers were the worst idea the Catholic Church ever had (eeewww). We then started going to four square (Christian) churches, as my mom wanted something different. 

In our wanderings with four square churches we met some wonderful people, whose ideals were always different. In some you had to dress up to go to church; in other cases we were welcome in every day cloths. Then there were the preachers, some were always saying the same message to afraid of making anyone mad and getting fired. Others didn’t care what anyone thought and would preach what they felt they needed to, and would get fired which meant having to move. Then you would find out that in all of these cases the preachers were getting big pay checks, cars, houses, and in some cases they wouldn’t even have to pay for electric, cable or anything else. Only thing they really had to deal with was food. 

The Mormon Church is the first one I have seen where no one is getting paid to do what they do. And although they call on different people to do things it is always a choice you make if you are going to help things along. 

Every day I see different ways that becoming a Mormon has changed how I look at things. If you are reading this and you are not a Mormon already I challenge you to go to www.mormon.org and ether speak with a Missionary on line or have them come to your house. I know that if you open your heart and your mind, you just might find yourself viewing things differently. Everyone is a picky eater, just make sure your still getting what you need out of things.

2 comments:

  1. Great analogy. Throughout the world you always hear about people "church hopping" or "looking for a home church." As latter-day Saints, we will always have a home church no matter where we go in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, what a beautiful blog! I am friends with Sister Cosper in Utah, and miss her dearly. My sister lives in Nashville, TN however. How good it is to know that both my sister and Lizzy are surrounded by good people like you. Congratulations on your baptism!

    ReplyDelete