Serenity Search

Friday, May 6, 2011

Memories

I am a reader, I love reading. Thou I could not say that all of my life. When I was in school I was in special education from second grade until my eighth grade year. I have weak eye muscles, and depth perception issues which meant some things were harder for me to do. And reading for a lot of years was something that was very hard for me. One summer while we were living in Maryland my sister went back to Boston to visit with friends, when she came home she had a large box of books. I started to read them, and slowly almost painfully I started to understand more and more. I came to know more words and within a year and a half I was begging for harder work at school. I wasn’t doing anything that was challenging me anymore and I was starting to drop my grades down because I was giving up. I was retested and taken out of special education when they found out I was reading and comprehending at a college level.
When I was given the Book of Mormon to read, I for the first time in years I had to remember how to read old English. None of the bibles I owned at the time was a King James Version.  It was a bit painful at first. I read the BoM to fast and although I understood some of it I didn’t get most of it. So I started over and went a bit slower, and was able to understand more of it as I got used to reading old English again.
When I got to the end of the BoM I called the Missionaries and asked them to come over. I then asked that they read the last chapter with me. I started reading with them and because of them, and wanted them to be with me when I finished for the first time. They were happy to do it, I really felt the Holy Ghost with us as we started reading. I will never forget the smiles I got as we finished the chapter. I was very glad I had called them over. It was a special moment and one that could never be recreated.
This happened with Sister Cosper, Jasper, and Warwood. I also that night gave them a poster sized picture to color. I wanted something to remember them by. This week they gave me back the picture, and when looking at it you can see the different personalities come through.
 I may be at the beginning of my journey with the Church. And I am really trying to get used to all different kinds of things. But I am glad I have had the Missionaries I have had, I am not sure I would have been as open to the Book of Mormon if I had had elders come to me with it.

I love my Missionaries
(Remember the shout out girls :) )

2 comments:

  1. Hello Nikki. My Lizzy told me about your blog and so I just read all your entries. What a wonderful history! I was so inspired by your testimony and your strength. I know you will be a great example to others and will help spread that joy to them. Thank you for sharing.

    Steve Cosper

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my paps. Love you Nikki!

    ReplyDelete